Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sobriety is Not Possible

I'm doing sobriety just like I do everything else.

(How do I do everything else? I don't.)

From another blog, written two days ago:

I give up trying to quit drinking. I've failed about 20 times in the last 21 days, and I know if I keep trying that's going to be the rest of my life. I already fail at enough things on a daily basis. Not caring about my alcoholism will reduce the number of failures per day and just make my life as a whole unit a failure. One failure per lifetime vs. 365 failures a year... yep, it makes mathematical sense for me to give up on pursuing sobriety.

I go to meetings. I have a sponsor. I read the Big Book. I even do service. But I am an alcoholic, and definitionally, alcoholics can't quit drinking. According to AA, God will quit drinking for me when he sees fit. Any attempts of my own will fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment