Thursday, October 10, 2013

Commitment: 4

I woke up early and went for an incredible long run this morning along the Charles in the cold New England fall weather, leaves turning colors and covering the ground in a rich carpet of gold. It was right at that temperature where I had the sleeves of my Patriots hoodie rolled three-quarters of the way up my arms but still had my hood on and tied tightly. I looked a bit ridiculous, but what could I do? If I'd taken the hoodie off, my run would've been over in seconds!

I subscribed to a great new podcast and listened to one and a half episodes over the course of my run (they're 40-49 minute long episodes). It's called "Marathon Training Academy." I may or may not have mentioned it here, but I'm training for a marathon myself. It's the Bay State Marathon, and it's in ten days. I'm underprepared physically and even less prepared mentally.

Since it was a long run (for non-running readers, a "long run" is typically defined as over six miles), I had to have a recovery snack, so I had a string cheese stick and a low-cal granola bar. Then an hour later I heated up a hunk of Ukrainian bread and ate it dipped in tomato sauce. So far today that's 70 + 90 + 240 + 65 = 465 solid calories, plus... y'know... vodka. Oh, and I had almond milk in my pre-run coffee, so that's another 30, for a total of 495. The next time I eat will hopefully be 5:00 p.m., when I will have an early dinner of a can of tuna and some steamed spinach before I go see Machete Kills with my boyfriend. (I'm reluctant. He's insistent. I hate movies, especially in theaters. Sitting still for that long is not my cup of tea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment